Gunco Forums banner

What's more important to you:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's more important to you on your AK, looks or function? Are you turned on more by how "authentic" your AK looks, or do you prefer one that might be more useful in a SHTF situation, i.e., with flash hiders, scope rails, tactical handguards, etc.?

·
Registered
52 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:
What's more important to you on your AK, looks or function? Are you turned on more by how "authentic" your AK looks, or do you prefer one that might be more useful in a SHTF situation, i.e., with flash hiders, scope rails, tactical handguards, etc.?
Easy one. Function wins hands down. If I want to cuddle with something I will pull out my Rock River. However it is a tossup if I would go for that or my AK74. Either way, one would be in my hand or I would die fighting my way to one of them.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
this is a very dificult question for me, I allways want my AK's to look original, however they MUST function well too. Lucky for us all AK's can do this , function great and needs no fluff. I have customized one but the rest I realy want to look as close to original as posable. fortunatly for me I like wood and open sights. with that in mind I had to put a scope on the Romak and if I got a kit that came with plastic furniture, then I would use it.
Again we are lucky because we can keep our AK's original and they function great, we have the best of all worlds :)
lastly I NEVER will keep anything around for looks only. No mater how cool it looks if it wont do it's job and do it well it is going in the shi- can.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Function is what AK's are all about, given the exceptions of poor gunsmithing or Century internals. I prefer the look of a traditional Kalishnikov, my absolute favorite (which I don't own yet) is the Chinese 56 with spike bayonet. Just the same I like some customization, always cool to check out what other folks have done with theirs. I've seen quite a number that emulate the bells and whistles of an M4-gery and while I don't particularly care for the look, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One custom that sticks out in my mind was a laminate skeleton stock similar to the RPB fixed folder-type that Z_Recto made. Somewhat "traditional" but most definitely customized.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I like my AK's to have an authentic appearance rather than spec'ing one out with all the current 'tactical' gear. I eventually hope to get a modern AK varient that has authentic tactical gear... would that be option 3? :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Function for me, but not KRAP. I don't believe in all the latest rage in rails, etc. Pretty doesn't get the job done, but function does.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used to be one of those guys that bought an AK for looks. It had to be authentic or I didn't want it. Now I'm all into tactical stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Function, absolutely. But there's nothing wrong with pimping one's rifle out a little as long as it doesn't get in the way of what it's supposed to do; i.e. throw lead.

I'm hoping to rework my SA-M7S into the correct Bulgarian AR-M1 configuration after September. I love the look of that Bulgy flash suppressor!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Function.... The finish on my AK-74 build sucks but it shoots the snot out of my $600 .223 VEPR. When the SHTF I will certainly be grabbing my AK unless I have changed the FCG in my VEPR at that point. Even then the VEPR will only be taken because of ammo considerations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
function. a nonworking rifle does nothing but get you hurt faster...

As far as appearance, I prefer the 'pimped out' look. I understand the appeal of keeping it original, as I may do this to an AK eventually, but for now to be able to mount a flashlight/foregrip is much more appealing tactically than having nice smooth shiny wood. Then again, the wood foregrips are rather nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Function is definately job #1 for the AK.

Looks of an AK are desired. Look at the Saiga, nice enough looking rifle, but very different from a exact military issue copy. I guess it is like buying a really fast hot sports car and then being told you can only get it with a govenor on the engine, so you will not drive too fast !

Maybe part of it is that we were told we should not have the AK, that just makes everyone want one even more ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:

I have to have both. I'm not a purist as far as keeping the "look" original to the country of issue. I recently had a Krink brake installed on my SAR3, my smith said he didn't understand why I would put a russian piece on a romanian rifle, my reply, because it works, because it looks really cool, and I want it. I have several AK'S, they all have something on them that enhances their performance, and all have the "cool" factor. I got a couple super cool flash hiders waiting for the end of the ban, neither of which is romanian, but , Oh Well! My vote is for function.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If you have ever seen my AKs, you would definately see that I go for function. I like that battlefield pick-up look!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have to say, I keep changing my mind.

A month ago I was all into tactical stuff, but now, I'm bothered by the fact that the Arsenal SA M7 just doesn't look right with the muzzle brake and longer stock.

All other things being equal, I'll take the SA M7 Carbine with shorter stock and plain muzzle just because it looks more like the traditional AK than the standard SA M7. The 90-degree gas block doesn't bother me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts