Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If I had a camper, I'd take it to camp with but until I buy one I have to settle with the tent! I have 2 cots that I use inside the tent that I bought from Bass Pro Shops and the wife and I love them. I have trouble with sleping on the ground because I wake up all stiff. And when its cold I sleep in the mini van with a HF ceramic heater on. I dont have a choice when its cold to have to settle for the van because I love to deer hunt. Speaking of hunting....I am going to the north georgia mtns. on January 7-10. Cant wait!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I generally take a tent or a tarp. Truth be told, I prefer a tarp mainly because I can see outside while I'm laying in my bedroll.

32 years old and still scared of the dark! :wink: lol

When I camp I go really light. A tarp, bag of beans, some jerkey, wool blanket, knife, first aid kit......oh ya, some tea. I like the "getting back to basics" aspect of it.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I'm like Flinter, I like being able to see around me. I'm 48(oops still 47) and I know there is stuff in the dark to be afraid of.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It used to be tents and sleeping bags when I went to the northern remote parts of the state hunting and fishing. now I have a 37 foot camper in a remote campground that I keep there year round. No more need for tents, as the camper stays where I used to tent out, right in heaven's back yard. Awesome Brookie and Salmon fishing in every direction... moose, deer, bear, rabbit and even coyote hunting is great within a 5 minute walk. All this plus a 6,000 watt generator keeps the AC cooling me off in the summer, and warm during the 30 below cold spells in late January. I love it.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I camp a lot. And, I've thought about getting a camper. But, most of the places I go are far off the road, and would be difficult getting a large camper back there, and if you did get it back there, there is a danger of getting it stuck. Perhaps a small truck camper on the back of my F-350 4x4 would work.

As it is now, I use a 10x18 tent, and a cooking awning, and lots of convenient stuff I take with me. I don't like to rough it too much. I had plenty of that in the Army.

Here is another trip I went on with my grandkids:

It's best to watch the weather report if you are going to camp in a area that is subject to flash flooding. :D

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
I'm like Flinter, I like being able to see around me. I'm 48 and I know there is stuff in the dark to be afraid of.
LOL, to heck w/that, I wouldn't want to see!!!! :bolt:

Dang Pogo,
that would spoil a trip for sure.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice setup you have there Pogo. Sorry bout the flooding, I personally like just a tent sleeping bag and a few things to cook with and on. But when you have family and stuff going with you I can see how having all that stuff is cool too.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have a cowboy bed roll I use most times. I sometimes will use my Colemen tent, and I use my camp trailer once or twice a yr for camping.

I travel to alot and don't like to pay for motels so I stay very often at the fairgrounds or Rodeo grounds wherever I am, the folks at those places don't mind and my dogs, horses and I can get some water and walk around some.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Pogo....you had everything but a boat! LMAO

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When I was a young pup we had a sheepcamp, also spent alot of time out west of where I live at in the ranch cabin, it has no running water elec and such. So in a way the ranch house was camping, just didn't move it around.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Tent camping. Someday I will have another VW van with a pop top (westaphalia, i.e. eurovan MV weekender). But for me and my family, we enjoy tent camping. renting a cottage on a lake is nice - but to me that is a vacation and not camping.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Cephus said:
Tent sleeping bag and a cookstove or it ain't camping it's a house on wheels.
Preach it Brother Cephus....

I'm fond of a bedroll on pine needles myself, but will subject myself to a tent and coleman stove if I have my bedwarmer along. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Pogo, awesome set up. You camp much like we do--I don't have any pics loaded on my computer of our site, but I'll be sure to get some up soon. We have to camp with a tent, because we strand ourselves on an island in the middle of the lake. It's so beautiful and peaceful. You wake up in the morning and hear the water moving--ahhhhhhh refreshing. We did have a silver fox stalk our camp last time. He was cool though---he grunted and growled a bit the first night to let us know he was there, the next night, he came and laid about 100 yds from the tent--all night. We don't go out after dark--we camp amongst gators and other critters.......lol If mother nature calls and you can't absolutely hold it---it takes 2 of us go...one to hold the flashlight to light a path, the other carries the bucket (5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom and a toilet seat on top) the shovel and the toilet paper......lol It's fun and I have a blast! Mom and Dad live for the summer so we can go camping.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Cephus said:
Tent sleeping bag and a cookstove or it ain't camping it's a house on wheels.
Oh yeah, definately tent. Cookstove is nice, but I'll take a wood fire any day. There's nothing better than deer steak roasted over an open fire. Yeah, a little hickory, hard maple and apple wood. Yummy. May have to go set up the tent in the yard tonight. Better grab a couple sleeping bags though, supposed to be down to zero tonight. May skip the tent and just go for the steak and then head back in.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I would love nothing better but to have a wood fire--however last time we did a fire I got very ill. I was sick for 3 weeks--my doc said I had a severe reaction to the smoke. I don't know if it's the type of wood we burned or what, but I can't take that chance again. It happened once before around a bon fire, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together until it happened under the same circumstances. Such a shame--I grew up around fireplaces-that's all we had for heat--now I can't be around fires :bawling:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Are you sure noone threw anything on the fire? I've never heard of that before.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts