Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's a weird one. In 1939 Germany invaded Poland, and Great Britain and France declared war on German with the stated goal of rescuing Poland from foreign invasion.

When was the stated goal of freeing Poland from occupation by foreign troops met?

Give you a hint. It wasn't 1945.

It wasn't until May of 1992 that Boris Yeltsin and Lech Walesa signed accords calling for the withdrawal of the Russian military from Poland. Until then, Poland had been continuously occupied by German, Soviet, and finally Russian soldiers. We tend to conveniently forget that Poland was invaded by the Soviets from the East as the Germans invaded from the West, although most know that the Red Army rather overstayed its welcome in Poland after kicking the Germans out much later in the war. Churchill and Roosevelt sold the Poles out to Stalin at the Tehran Conference. VE Day was a very bitter day for Poles who had fought on the side of the allies.

[I know that WWI wasn't called WWI until WWII, until then had been called the Great War. But does anyone know what it was called in 1914-1915? (I don't). Similar question with WWII: I doubt that anyone called it WWII in late 1939. Anyone know what it was called before it came to be called WWII?]

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I believe WWI was called the great war. Don't know what they called WWII except the phoney war.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
I believe WWI was called the great war. Don't know what they called WWII except the phoney war.
I think the phoney war was the very beginning of WWII, the "Sitzkrieg", the lull between the blitzkrieg of Poland and the blitzkrieg of France, when Britain and France had declared war but nobody was shooting at anyone during the lull between the fall of Poland and the invasion of France.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Good thoughts, but the United States did not enter the War to free Poland. We entered the War to defeat a country which had declared War on us - Germany. France and Great Britain declared War on Germany, not vice versa, and I agree the purpose of that was to force Hitler's armies back into their borders. Remember, the USSR also invaded Poland, and neither France nor Britain declared war on it.

Now, back to the original question. When was WWII won? If you mean when was victory certain, my answer is when the Soviets stalemated the Wehrmach in December, 1941, before Pearl Harbor. From that point onwards, the Nazis were outproduced, their armies diminishing, and the Red Army grew more powerful and advanced every day.

Japan's fate was sealed with the Battle of Midway.

That's my take.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If your calling the war on when occuping forces leave.. We still occupiy Germany and Japan, so I guess the war has not ended yet??

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
When did it start Smeg? China? Manchuria? Chekoslovakia? reoccupation of the Rhineland? Pehaps WWI never really ended. Maybe WWI was a continuation of the Franco-Prussian war (La revenge!)

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I'm with Bluedog, nothing ever ends it just festers and moves other places. There are still issues not resolved from WW2. Korea, Taiwan, Balkans, Middle east, and several others. It's amazing that any of can get along on this planet when we hate others for different religions or in the case of N. Korea homicidal dictators.

It's all a string of events through time. Good thing for us we only stay 70-100 years in most cases. Can you imagine being a 1000 years old and seeing all the crap that has gone on in the world? It would make you bonkers!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
magnus392 said:
In the early days in the bible ppl did live that long:| We can't take care of ourselves for 100yrs little on a thousand;)
Not quite guys, Methuselah was the oldest man documented in the Bible and he was only 969 years old.(Gen 5:27)

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
WWII will finally be won when I am granted my rightful place as Emperor of The Entire Planet.

But really, before this thread gets hijacked by The Christian Coalition, I think WWII, as was mentioned previously, gave more fuel to the fires of petty regional, cultural and ethnic and religious disputes that will not die away any time soon.
If it did not give more fuel, then it at least, it killed any chance of having the old reasons for killing each other resolved.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I will change my answer. WWII was won on December 7, 1941. The Japanese decision to go to war with America allowed the Soviets to shift military resources from the East to their western front, . Hitler wanted, and probably expected, the Japanese to attack the USSR. Instead, of fighting a divided Red Army, Hitler had to fight the brunt of it. Would Soviet reversals outside Moscow and Stalingrad have occurred, if not for the equipment and troops sent from Siberia?

As for the War in the Pacific, even Yamamoto warned they could not win. That War also was lost when the Japanese launched their sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. The Battle of Midway hastened it dramatically.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What WWII was called depended on where you were, the soviet union called it "The great patriotic war".
I have some repro stuff of the era with this written on it.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
CGB Spender said:
What WWII was called depended on where you were, the soviet union called it "The great patriotic war".
I have some repro stuff of the era with this written on it.
True enough it was.

Considering the Russians were fighting for survival as they were losing 500,000 in one battle at a time. They were pushed back 1000 miles into their own country. Even if Stalin was as bad as Hitle if you were a Russin you would have fought for the Motherland like a devil dog just as we would if someone invaded us that way.

I feel sorry for the Russians that were slaughtered by the Germans and in turn I feel sorry for the Germans when the Russians came in 1945. The stories are horrific of the raping of German women and girls over and over. The Russians carried everything including lightbilbs back with them. They took every peice of wire, wood, metal, and technology with them.

What an awful legacy Hitler and Stalin left behind. It's so bad on both sides you cannot begin to fathom it.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
magnus392 said:
Leaving Soviets in Germany was perhaps worse than any other punishment the Allies could have imagined. 1989 and the wall coming down was proof of that.
Damn straight! Unfortunately the Germans had been so bad to the Russians that there was no hope of the Russians being nice victors.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Just goes to show what a truely motivated pissed off nation can accomplish when it is a life and death matter. I guess my opinion about the war being won when the US entered it could be egotistical, but...oh well;) We were determined and focused. I do wander what was the mood back then, did we have the anti-war movement like we did when Afganastan came along? You never seem to hear about that kind of thing. I am sure there was some left wing pink-o that was against the war besides the one fool who voted against it in congress.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Great question!
Wars are the greatest single factor of change in human history. All really serious changes spring from wars- the franco-prussian wars were really just a prelude to WW1, and the ending of that war, and the complete mis-management of the peace that followed it nearly guaranteed a follow-on of another war.
World War Two technically ended in August, 1945. Practically, with the resulting upheavals (the breakup of the British Empire, the rise of the Warsaw Pact Soviet satellites, the rise of Communism in the far east, especially China,) and the repercussions of those upheavals, the war actually continues to this day. Much like water with a stone thrown in, the ripples continue to spread, bounce off other things, and conflict and change constantly. In fact, we are still seeing the reverberations of WW1- Yugoslavia was created after WW1 and was an unhappy grouping of chunks of other countries, and we are still working to keep them from killing each other to this day.
The primary combatants of WW2 no longer shoot at each other, but the alliances are no longer there in a large part either. The effects of the war are still echoing around here and there to this day, 50 years later. The causes of the war-the militarism of the Japanese Empire, and the dreams of the Nazis-are done, but the events they threw into motion are still affecting world events even now.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Magnus,

Yes, there was a strong anti-war movement from 1937 until 1941. FDR had to tread lightly and that was how the lend lease program started with Britain and Russia. We gave them stuff for a penny and had some agreement, so we wouldn't get involved. Bush and FDR parallel each other very much in this matter.

People thought we could placate Hitler and the Japanese thing was ignored probably due to racial indifference. People here probably figured it was just backward Asians being slaughtered by Japs, who cares? Same was true about Jews since the American Nazi party and KKK were at there strongest. Many of the middle aged men had seen WWI and didn't want their sons to suffer either.

I saw a program on this about a week ago, it was very interesting even though I knew it already, but I had never paid enough attention. Since 1972 when Arafat killed our diplomats we turned a blind eye to mideast terror except for a few minor things.

It would not matter if it was Bush or anyone else in there we were headed for a showdown. Same as 1941 and since WWI ended we were in a cold war between the powers of Europe and no one ever realized what had happened.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts