Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to get an AK rivet kit? I have read where people do not like the tapco rivets. Which ones work the best? (I am going to be working on an AMD65).
Thanks, T M

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Make sure the rivets that you get have at least two swell neck rivets. They are rivets with a bevel on the face that dimples the sheet metal into counter sunk holes on the part of the front trunion where the mag well is. This will insure the trunion is interlocked with the receiver.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Send me a pm with your addy and Ill send you a few.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Amazing this is the first time I have had anyone turn down free rivets.Oh well.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
droog... Maybe T M didn't read your post. As you said, I can't beleive anyone would turn down "FREE" rivets.

I have used the K-VAR rivets and they are very hard, expect them to bow when pressing. I found that if you first use a hammer to start the rivet head forming it will go a little easier. The rivets from the 1-patriot-of-many GB work very well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
droog, sorry I did miss your first post with the free rivets. You have a PM
Thanks alot!!!!!:thankyou: :thankyou:
T M

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have been usiing the ones from his group buy too.I also use the McMaster Carr ones for the shorties that dont need a swell neck like the ones on the front trunion.I have been drilling the trigger guard rivets holes out to countersink them with a 1/4 " bit and cutting the swell neck rivets down and using them with Maxs trigger guard riveting jig .Works great.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just got your PM Joe they are on their way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I would like to try to rivet my next project. Did any of you get in on the GB for the yugo krink kits?

Thanks again, TM

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
droog said:
and using them with Maxs trigger guard riveting jig .Works great.
Where can I get a good trigger gaurd riveting jig? Also has anyone heard from Plinker lately? I have PMed him about his jig(s) for the truionns, but he has not answered. Does he still make them?
T M

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ask 7.62x39 he posts here. Ithink he can help you out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked with 7.62x39, but he said he had retired from the jig buisness. Does anyone else have them?

Thanks, T M

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks 7.62x39 I will check with them.
Droog, do I need the 9/32 jig, or the 5/16 jig with the rivets that you have from 1 pat?
Thanks, T M

·
Registered
704 Posts
I didnt know there is a difference. I dont think the difference between the two is significant enought to make a difference.The heads on the rivets are 9/32 according to my caliper.I supose the 5/16 may be a hair to big but not enought to be noticeable to me anyway.I seem to remember that Max made his with the 9/32 head in mind .Whatever it is it works great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
droog... Maybe T M didn't read your post. As you said, I can't beleive anyone would turn down "FREE" rivets.

I have used the K-VAR rivets and they are very hard, expect them to bow when pressing. I found that if you first use a hammer to start the rivet head forming it will go a little easier. The rivets from the 1-patriot-of-many GB work very well.
Are you referring to K-Var's Bulgarian or Romanian rivets when you say they are hard? I've used their Bulgarian rivets and didn't find them hard at all. Of course, when they are under a 20 ton press they probably all feel soft.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts