Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who is Tommo ?

Seems to be the only entity posting in this forum. Owner? Friend of owner?

Is this place dead? Used to get decent AK advice back in the Barry-O years but seems to have fallen silent.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
tommo is a long time member here who has time & effort to make lots of posts here.

he is not a friend of the owner/operators of this site== which is a Canadian company called Vertical Scopes.

Reactions: moleman and Tommo

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Thank you very much Dutigaf for defending me. Not connected to owners in anyway. I just think this is a great forum from which I have learned allot about AK building and do not want it to whither away. I have not been doing many builds recently due to health problems with my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, aka, nervous exhaustion and multiple deaths of my family and close friends.

I have been posting videos about firearm tests as not everyone who visits here is a builder and want to make available information about which firearms are worth buying. Also post videos about historical firearms, funny videos, politics, and military history to keep everyone amused.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Tommo,

You don't need defending. You are a long time member, contributor and sometime great story teller.

Rock On!

Reactions: Tommo and moleman

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good. I read a lot of boards and seems sometimes he/you are the only entity starting or commenting on anything.

Why, I wonder, why has this board become so slow?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Simple. It used to be a thriving busy place. Then some internal conflicts among members caused some to leave and some to be banned. Then the site was taken over by a new owner that again some members had issues with and left.

I'm afraid unless some of those old timers come back or we get an infusion of new members what you see now will continue.

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
Tommo is good people :cheers: and I'm sorry to hear about his troubles and wish him the best. I think without his efforts over the past several years the site likely would not be around. Lots of good information on here and much of it has been used on other boards. Besides the reasons mentioned above another reason for the lack of new build posts is guys might still be building but aren't posting up any new builds after their first few. I'm guilty of it too, but after doing several of the same type of build generally I stop starting new threads on them. After a while the older builds drop off the front page and you have to go looking for them. That's part of the reason earlier this year I posted up a couple yugo builds and a couple ar15 wildcat builds. Nothing earth shattering, but hopefully interesting none the less. Likely won't finish anything else before the new year, but if I do I'll post it up. Not sure what I'll build next year, sten, AK, AR, pps43, ppsh41, kp31, kp44, usi, cetme, falling block, scrap build ect, again nothing earth shattering that hasn't been done many times before but I'll start a new thread on it when it's finished. I'd also challenge the other guys to post similar builds.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Pretty much that, the "golden age" of building is over. When brand new Romanian AK kits with OEM bbl was $100 delivered everybody and his brother were interested. Now, how many AR15 assembly jobs does anyone feel the need to post about? The "old guard" mostly left a while back and there are multiple competing boards like this one. The folks still "rolling their own" are either on a brand/model specific site or Weaponsguild for a "one for everything" solution. Lots of good info here in the older posts though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tommo is good people :cheers: and I'm sorry to hear about his troubles and wish him the best. I think without his efforts over the past several years the site likely would not be around. Lots of good information on here and much of it has been used on other boards. Besides the reasons mentioned above another reason for the lack of new build posts is guys might still be building but aren't posting up any new builds after their first few. I'm guilty of it too, but after doing several of the same type of build generally I stop starting new threads on them. After a while the older builds drop off the front page and you have to go looking for them. That's part of the reason earlier this year I posted up a couple yugo builds and a couple ar15 wildcat builds. Nothing earth shattering, but hopefully interesting none the less. Likely won't finish anything else before the new year, but if I do I'll post it up. Not sure what I'll build next year, sten, AK, AR, pps43, ppsh41, kp31, kp44, usi, cetme, falling block, scrap build ect, again nothing earth shattering that hasn't been done many times before but I'll start a new thread on it when it's finished. I'd also challenge the other guys to post similar builds.
Well, I did just put together a DMR Yugo SKS clone from the Bosnian war era. Pretty neat. I'll start a thread on that shortly.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
anytime old friend.

and KK is right. the "Golden Age of Building" is over.

anytime i come up with something new or different? i post it here & at WG. coming up with new & different now days is pretty friggin tough.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Ya there's still a bunch of us still lerking around from time to time, there's just not much to share on the building front ,,or much of anything else exciting to talk about except stupid politics. I'm FRIGGING talked out on that subject, plus I just ran outa ,,piss,,,to throw into the wind.

Hell, the last thing I built was my 03 or possibly the AMD65? It was SO LONG AGO, i don't really remember right now which was my last one? That had to be 4-5 years ago now, maybe more?

I do still see some of the old familiar names here, but not that many.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm having a horrible time with accuracy on a 16" 54r VEPR I've been getting out to the range lately. 4" groups on any ammo. I went over to http://www.vepr.org/ and there are barely a few posts a week with one or a couple Mods that seem to be the only ones commenting or answering questions. Are we a dying breed? I got into milsurp collecting early in the Barry O years and the chatter was so vibrant back then on may of my favorite forums.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Who is Tommo ?

Defending? I got completely lost on that one. Tom is actually keeping the information rolling here. I guess I do too.....I might be one of the last of the originals on these sites from the original boards. Some really wonderful people have come and gone....many no longer with us. It's a fact of life, sad but true. The mean people all just ignored and fade away. What's left....you the committed. Tom could be any meds you are on. If your diabetic say type 2, the meds will indeed induce fatigue including ant HBP meds. Hope your feeling better....more fresh fruit! It will energize you immediately....get some fresh Papaya or similar tropical fruits....fresh....its an amazing pick me up. Thanks for keeping on.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Thank you very much for the kind advice [email protected] Unfortunately it is not meds causing my fatigue. The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is from Cytomegalo Virus which never leaves my system. I do eat a healthy diet, but stress like the deaths of family and friends causes flare ups and the only thing I can do is to not push too hard until I feel stronger, just takes time.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Tommo,,,,have you tried using Chaga ? I recently moved from my long time home to way up in the mountains here in VT and there's an abundance of it here which I've harvested a bit of to try. With all the nerve issues and neck spasm's I have had to live with daily for years sense my fall I've found it to be a help.

I'm not using hardly any of the pharmaceuticals I was prescribed anymore sense I started using chaga and wild lettuce to control some of my issues. Neither is a cure all for everything, but the chaga has a ton of antioxidants, it flush's your system of heavy metals and has a ton of vitamins and minerals that are extremely good for your body and does give you a pick me up and tastes pretty much like coffee IMO , without the caffeine jitters.

Research it some and see if it might help with the fatigue your experiencing. Do be aware though, it doesn't react well with some meds and chaga shouldn't be used when taking some of them or if you may have curtain other medical issues. Defiantly check with a doctor first after doing some research on it's properties and uses, it could be helpful?

I don't know where your located but the best chaga comes only off White and Silver Birch that grows at higher altitudes and far away from civilization , which my new location is. I recently bought a homestead way way up in the mountains of VT with 20+ acres, a 4 season camp, and a stream filled with little brook trout running right in front of the house and 5-6 miles from the nearest blacktop road with an incredible patch of mixed forest and hundreds of sq miles of just state, federal and timber company lands all around me and at the end of a road that's closed half the year once the snow flies,,,I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT HERE ! This is the best I've felt in years physically by being here.

I've named it the,,,High Mountain Homestead.

At any rate if it's something you think could be helpful and you don't have access to it where you live , just let me know and I can send you some to try out. I know it's lifted my spirits and has helped me feel much better overall in just the couple three months sense I've been using it and it's the least I can do after you've answered so many of my dumb ass questions I had about AK platforms when I first started messing around with them. Pay back can sometimes be a good thing,,,LOL!!!

Let me know,,,,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts