Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several different options on the fonts.
Also, does anyone have the exact height of the letters on an original.
Seems like the original markings differ a bit.
Feel free to mix and match the fonts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback.
I like those two selctions also.
Here's a shot of an original that is closer to the two on the left.
Notice the "D" does not extend below the base line.

I am also thinking of using the second AB for a bulgarian engraving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Engraved a Tapco flat

Well, figured out the Russian and Bulgarian selector markings. I even engraved the cyrillic spelling of the country above the samples.
Hope I spelled them correctly.
Engraved a Tapco flat after that. It went well.
Placement seems good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If the one on the left is supposed to be russian - the russian letter "D" is wrong character.

It should be : д
as is shown on the very far right.
Look at my jpeg in the post above.
I didn't have a stylized cyrillic "A" for the upper "AB" mark, so I improvised one with a flattened top. The letter you show for the Russian "A" is basically what I was trying to make. In other words - 3 out of 4 of your Russian letters are correct. You actually have the correct Russian "D", but it is shown on the left set of stamps (Bulgaria ?) instead of on the right, which I assume to be Russia.
Put the " Д " next to the Russian "O" and it will be correct.
ОД = odinochniy (Russian abbreviation "OD")

The engraving looks beautiful. I just have an issue with the mixup of characters. Sorry to nit pick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is a photo of a museum quality AKMS from the 1970's (Russian).
Sorry, wish I had a better picture.
Note the dropped down Д in the ОД.
The stamping here was apparently done in textbook cyrillic, as the Russian "D" is supposed to be that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopster,
Thanks for the input and you are not nit picking, you are adding valuable insight. I am no expert. Just collected/looked/studied a ton of engravings over the last month. I seen several different marking styles even with the same arsenal. Here's one with the legs even with the baseline.

Nice thing is I can mix and match fonts, so if someone wanted the other "delta", no problem.
Next to work on the infinity sign for hungarian guns.
Any interest in engraved flats?
What would be the + and - 's?
thanks again for the input

·
Registered
273 Posts
what is the cocking mechanism on this one ???

likemopar said:
Hopster,

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Kail said:
what is the cocking mechanism on this one ???
That's either a Galil bolt carrier, or a custom-built clone. From the looks of the handle, it is a clone. The Galil appears to be shorter:

http://www.world.guns.ru/assault/as23-e.htm

http://www.remtek.com/arms/imi/galil/index.htm

Looking at that rifle, it is obviously a custom rifle. That's a Krinkov receiver cover and RSB. It has either a Romy folder or a fixed stock. It is missing the Krinkov side-folder latch pin (can be seen on the bottom).

One could obviously make a handle mod like this on their own - heat the handle with a torch, bend upward, thread and attach a handle. Seems the location of the rear sight on the Krink top cover would inhibit use of this type of handle, so honestly with that top cover I'd prefer a normal cocking handle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's another example of the legs on the baseline.
Other variations are the distance between letters amd the A of AB look more like a "delta".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts