Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am!

Muskegon Township Fire Department - Station 1 (Paid-on-call Firefighter)/MFR
(5 years and going!)

Shout out! :)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Firefighter/EMT 15 years. Vernon Parrish Fire District 1, station 17.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
see me in the pic thread in gear

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys collect patches or T-shirts? I have a few spare patches I can trade.

·
anyone seen my coffee cup
481 Posts
South Wales Volunteer Fire Co. Firefighter/EMT

Yep! I got patches to trade! PM me your addy! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
db3443 said:
South Wales Volunteer Fire Co. Firefighter/EMT

Yep! I got patches to trade! PM me your addy! :thumbup1:
You have incoming PM! :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I fought forest fires for the Forest Service a few yrs ago. Boy Howdy do they ever throw lots of money at those huge fires. We had Helos, and Large planes as well as spotter planes flying all over on those big ones. Bulldozers, etc. we even had a Helo drop some pumps for us to pump water out of canels with hoses and the whole 9 yards. I was a chain saw operator so I was one of the lucky ones who had ear plugs.
Had teams from all over the west flown in and then drove in in buses. Almost got to fly to Fla to fight some fires but the local airport could not handle the large planes so we got sent elsewhere a few times on bus rides of many many hrs. Get fed real good by the folks that cater the meals. Even saw some local folks at some of the large fires, they haul trialers and such all over the west. Some of the bigger fires turned into temp small cities around the base camp.

·
No Rest For The Wicked
547 Posts
You can have those wildland fires. I don't envy you guys at all for that job! Especially the guys on the ground. I will take a structure fire any day of the week over a wildland fire. I know that we have had some descent "brush fires" around here, but I can't imagine what you must have seen!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Oil storage tanks are the ones that I hope I never see again. Pucker factor of 10+.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
We had to move Base Camp one time when the fire turned and came at the camp. So when we got off our shift we had an extra few miles to walk to get dinner and to our bed rolls.
One time we had a storm front move thru and it snowed on us in July in the High Unitas in NE Utah and put the fire out overnight that we had been fighting and losing ground to in the dead beetle killed Lodgepole pine. It was hairy gettin out of there on the muddy roads. The fire made its own weather and all, that was a fire that went wherver it wanted to. Jumped roads, canels you name it.
One bulldozer had to be bombed with retardent twice when the fire turned and came back. The yellow nomex shirt the operator had on was orange and stiff as a board when it dryed as he was using it to clean off the cats windows each time after the drop.

Had one brush fire drivin by winds that we clocked goin 35 MPH as we were tryin to out run it in a brush pumper truck.
:eek:

I feel the same about structure fires I never wanted a thing to do with them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lupeloff said:
Oil storage tanks are the ones that I hope I never see again. Pucker factor of 10+.
Cowdawg said:
Had one brush fire drivin by winds that we clocked goin 35 MPH as we were tryin to out run it in a brush pumper truck.
:eek:
Holy Moley!

We'll be happy with plain old house fires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts