Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No specific questions at this point. Mostly just looking out for "gotcha's" that might jump out and bite the novice builder.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have completed 3 rifles on the MarshHawk receiver and I like them! The bends are good, material is good and the rifle worked the first time out with no problems. Now, the blanks are quality steel like many others, but one of the good things is the instruction manual that comes with the blank; it takes you thru each step in detail. The screw kit that comes with the blank is excellent too. I highly recommend his receiver kit. The cost is high, but if you run into any problems, you can call and talk to the owner and get answers quickly.

On the other hand, you can buy a completed receiver for about the same price and it takes a lot less time to build, but you have to register the completed receiver and the MarshHawk is not. My first build with a bent blank was about 15 hours start to finish. With a completed receiver, I can build one in about 5-6 hours start to finish. If you are considering a bent blank, the MarshHawk is a good one, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE-

I am about half done with this build up (AMD 65 pistol). I didn't realize how much talent it takes to work with sheetmetal. I think this pistol will work o.k. when it's done, but this ia an order of magnitude harder than building up and AR (from a stripped receiver) or a 1911. I am learning though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This build is all done. One problem I need help with. the *&^^*ing dustcover wants to come off and ping me in the forehead when I shoot it. Feeds andfunction fine other than that. pretty embarassing at the range. Any thought on how to tweak this?

TIA,

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mike,

Does the Dust Cover lock in place at the front Trunnion cover recess, into the rear Trunnion cover slot, and the Recoil Spring button should hold it in place? The rear of the cover should fit into a slot in the rear Trunnion. If the cover is even with the back of the Trunnion, it will pop off. Make sure the cover is pushed forward tightly into the front Trunnion groove when you snap the cover in place. If not, the rear of the cover will set past the slot in the rear trunnion. If the cover is tight in the front Trunnion groove, and is still at the rear of the rear Trunnion, the rear Trunnion sounds like it is too far forward by about 1/16-1/8" inch.

This is hard to explain in writing, but do you have another AK you can compare with? do you understand what I am trying to expalin?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Abwehr,

Thanks! i will compare it to my Sagia when I get home. It the rear trunion is too far foreward do you suppose I can shorten the dust cover to get it to fit right??

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mike,

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but my company put a block on the Gunco website so no more work time reading, LOL.

If the trunnion is too far forward, you can shorten the front of the Cover where it fits into the Front Trunnion. The reason I know this is "been there, done that", so I thought I knew what your problem was. Keep us posted if this fixes the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts