Gunco Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Mig welder set up yesterday and finally completed a project I had put off for several years. Many years ago some dirtbag stole my arc welder, grinder, oxy equipment and all my related equipment. He was a friend of a friend with a white powder habit (unknown to me). He took off and probably sold my stuff for quick cash.

Anyway, I have slowly replaced my equipment (also just completed a weld AK from scratch). Anyone else here like to weld?????

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
like to weld, but do it all at work. i don't have any equipment at home. i had a friend come over and give me an estimate on how much it would cost to get 60 amp to the garage..almost passed out when he told me....that underground wire is expensive...

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I have a Mig. A Miller 185 also w/spool gun. I'm no expert, but I can make the smoke roll and it usually holds.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how to post them. It is an OOW receiver with an AMD kit and underfolder with a crappy black paint job. Next month a sand blaster cabinet and park tank will be added. I got 4 other AK's to parkerize.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
WC846 said:
like to weld, but do it all at work. i don't have any equipment at home. i had a friend come over and give me an estimate on how much it would cost to get 60 amp to the garage..almost passed out when he told me....that underground wire is expensive...
How far away is your garage and what size service do you have in your home?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Chromebolt said:
I don't know how to post them. It is an OOW receiver with an AMD kit and underfolder with a crappy black paint job. Next month a sand blaster cabinet and park tank will be added. I got 4 other AK's to parkerize.
Go to picyard.com or just click on free image hosting on the gunco toolbar up top. There's an upload section over there to post your pics. Once they're uploaded, you can right click 'em and copy the pic, and then come over here and paste them.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I forgot to mention that you'll have to set up an account the first time you use it.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Preacher said:
How far away is your garage and what size service do you have in your home?
only 100 amp service in the house..so i would have to change that to 200amp. Then its just about 150 feet to the garage so i would probably have to get about 200 ft of 100 amp wire ...100 bucks here..100 bucks there..next thing you have a $2000 bill...plus we have to bury the cable 18 inches..and i would have to rent a machine..no way i'm gonna dig a 150 foot trench by hand..

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Hook up the welder in you kitchen maybe???

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Preacher said:
Hook up the welder in you kitchen maybe???
no, that wouldn't work..i'd melt the kitchen off the house..the welder i was looking at needs 60 AMP.. I need something that will do 1/2 inch plate so i can weld my targets

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Here's a picture of my MIG welder.

I've also got a 230 amp arc welder and an oxy/aceteline outfit in my garage.

My dog only knows how to use the MIG though.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
WC846 said:
no, that wouldn't work..i'd melt the kitchen off the house..the welder i was looking at needs 60 AMP.. I need something that will do 1/2 inch plate so i can weld my targets
I gotcha. I figured if it was a smaller one with a lower duty cycle, it might make a difference.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
cephus, the leaf springs i got for the rifle targets are 5/8 & rockwell 435..they need a real good weld the whole way around or they crack ..i've destroyed many of them..

also, if you need a scuba tank to go in your basement i'll send you one UPS..

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Cephus said:
I'll bet mine looked like that back in about say 1944 if my shop looked that clean I couldn't work in it,I'd be afraid that I'd miss it up. How do you weld on those floors without missing them up,I try to keep mine clean and neat but it never works. The only time I clean it up is when I can't find something how do you guys do it.
Wc846 you don't need to weld 1/2" but you do need to do both sides if you do that it won't come apart I've shoot holes through them with the 50 aand they stayed together. 6013 rod weld damn near anythging with a buzz box.
I don't usually weld in the shop, but I have a couple of times. I usually roll the welder out on a little deck I have on my shop to weld things. I've got too much dust in there, and it could start a fire if I wasn't careful. My shop cat doesn't like welding fumes anyway.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i know you could weld them..but if i don't do it real nice, i'll get harrassed from the guys i go shooting with..they are all pipeline welders..and you know how people like to pick..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I going to have a seperate service installed in the new shop when its built.
I've had a nice Miller 50A welder collecting dust because the wood shop is nearly maxed out and it would be too difficult to get juice to the small shop it is setting in.

packratt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts