Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
black powder shooting? Pistols, rifles, shotguns?
I've got a .50 cal Morse rifle that I haven't shot since high school ('bout 20 years now), and a 1851 Colt Sheriff .36 cal pistol that I have only put one cylinder through about a year and a half ago.
I'm looking to get into shooting them again, but it's been so long and may need some help again after picking up my supplies. Then again it may all come right back to me after I get started.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Yep, I do it.

I've got a Remington Old Army in .44 caliber, and a Thompson Contender in .54 caliber. When I shoot, I don't like that Goex or any other substitute powder, I use the real black powder. It lets off with a big boom, and a nice looking cloud of black smoke. It'l raise the hair on the back of your neck in a funny sort of way. :D

Only thing about black powder, ya wanna make sure you clean your guns plenty good before putting them away. Otherwise they will sure corrode, and look like they were really used in the civil war.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I love the smell of black powder in the morning.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I do too Lupe. I also love the smell of shotgun shells in the morning, especially the old paper ones. Reminds me of when I was a boy and went out quail hunting with my dad. Memories I'll never forget.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Pogo said:
I do too Lupe. I also love the smell of shotgun shells in the morning, especially the old paper ones. Reminds me of when I was a boy and went out quail hunting with my dad. Memories I'll never forget.
Yep, life's simple pleasures.:) :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Pogo said:
Yes those smells of the shotgun really bring back memorys for me.

I have a muzzleloader in .50 cal I use for deer hunting and I also have a Rem .44 cal revolver with the brass frame. I really enjoy shooting both.

I use patched round balls for the rifle for practice and use round balls with wonder lube for the revolver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts