Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one has done a fishing story yet, so I figured I'd start one. Mostly brought on by the fact I seen the stock truck at one of my lakes today. Mmmmmmmmm! Fresh trout. I like other types of fish as well. Bass, pike, bluegill, & crappie.

So what's your favorite??

·
No Member
1,941 Posts
I like Walleye. I went fishing a couple of times on a remote lake in northern Ontario and had a blast.We had all you can eat fresh Walleye out of a clear blue lake.Yum!!!:thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Mmmmmmmmm! Fresh trout. I like other types of fish as well. Bass said:
you can have the bass(large & Smallmouth) and pike..i'll take the trout, bluegill, crappie, and strippers(either kind)

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tjames1 said:
I like Walleye. :thumbup1:
I don't know that I've ever had walleye Tammi. Is it similiar to any other?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I fish in some alpine ponds and small lakes up east of me. Brookies, Browns, and Rainbows.

A few lakes south of me have catfish and bass.

Someday I want to go fishing in Alaska

·
No Member
1,941 Posts
Preacher said:
I don't know that I've ever had walleye Tammi. Is it similiar to any other?
I don't really know. I love to eat different kinds of fish but don't do it often enough. Lol, I remember though (it's been almost 20 years) that we were told that the cheeks were a delicacy so here we are with our fillet knives cutting out their little cheeks with their big ole eyes staring at us the whole time. It was kinda gross but they were actually quite good!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Trout is my favorite to fish for, but I don't care for eating them..

Catfish, crappie and other panfish types are my fav to eat..

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Taz38 said:
I like anything that bites my hook :) I've only done freshwater fishing though--I must change that...
If i lived as close as you do to Lake Santee..i'd be there every weekend..big fish in that lake, stripers, catfish, shellcrackers..this guy just caught this one in 1998..here's the write up about it..

Amos M. Gay and his new all-tackle world record redear sunfish (shellcracker) from Santee Cooper Diversional Canal, caught in August, 1998. The fish weighed 5 lbs. 7.5 ozs. and topped another fish from the same fishing hole by 3.5 ozs. The fishing hole where Gay caught this fish has produced at least three redear over 5 lbs. It is located where the canal meets Lake Moultrie. The area was intensively sprayed to remove vegetation, and the resulting bare bottom became the perfect home for an unnamed species of Asiatic shellfish. The shellfish are, of course, dinner for shellcrackers, and redear feeding in this area experience phenomenal growth and weight gain. If the shellfish are the infamous zebra mussels, redear appear to offer a perfect solution to control. Reduced zebra mussel expansion and big redear in one package!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My favorite kind of fishing is walking along a trout stream in the Sierras with ultralight (2 lb test) equipment and spinners. Even if you don't get any fish, trout live in such lovely neighborhoods.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ive always loved catfishing and casting for bass. Ive been offshore once and caught a bunch of huge amberjack, and tuna. I love fishing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yea those Amberjack are some bad-ass fighting fish. I caught one that was about 80lbs and the captain said I could have applied for some kind of award or something. I didnt bother with it though. The fresh Tuna and dolphin were delicious, nothing can compare to fresh fish you caught yourself. Its very satisfying.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I LOVE THOSE BROOKIES!!!
I fish alot for brook trout up in northern maine, and do quite well on the native trout here, although the stocked ones are almost as good, but just not as sweet. a few brookies, and some fresh picked fiddleheads (baby fern shoots that are all curled up) and you've got a meal fit for a king!!!
Also... try a striper on a 7 weight flyrod... It'll blow your mind!!!

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I like the taste of Northern Pike better than walleye, but you have all of those "Y" bones that ya gotta pick out. Probably my favorite eating fish is bluegill and crappie.

I love to fish for any kind of fish though.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Trout is good eating, especially broiled with some lemon juice and sliced almonds on top. I also like bass, perch, walleye, bluegill, crappie, catfish, whiting, etc. My all time favorite eating fish is the bluegill, My dad and I would filet them and then dip them into some egg and rolled in crushed ritz crackers (or whatever was available, cornmeal, flour etc), then deep fry them. Definitely some good eating (now I am getting hungry, lol).

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Man, I forgot about that whiting. That's some good eating too. Yum!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts