Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm intrested in where the name Krink or Krinkov came from(NATO DESIGNATED) As a member on a other forum is from Russia and he has never heard of it. Anybody got a answer or a link to this?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I just read on a site(don't remember which)that the term" Krinkov" was an Afghan name for them and that they were much prized as a captured weapon.....just what I read. I don't know for certain, but it is a catchy little name and I think it has stuck.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
LOL... l read somewhere that the Russian's never heard of a Krinkov and that if you mention the term they will just give you a blank look. They have another name for the little carbine. I don't remember what it was though.

I would be nice to know where the term "really" came from.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Shotgun News Volume 58 Issue 26 pages 14-17 ,article entitled Kalashnikov's Cigarette Butt

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
LOL... l read somewhere that the Russian's never heard of a Krinkov and that if you mention the term they will just give you a blank look. They have another name for the little carbine. I don't remember what it was though.

I work with some Russians and I asked them about Krinkov's and they had no freaking idea what I was talking about and all of them had served in the Russian armed forces, they did remember the plumb clored stocks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Toten Kopf said:

that's right, we never heard of the "krink". the proper nickname is the malysh which means little boy. i do remember however that krinkov had something to do with bulgaria or some other obscure Eblock nation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Toten Kopf said:

Here is the post from the other forum along with some names for the litte gun.
and If i build a pistol I will call it my little Suchka.

Hi, everyone!

For a few years I'm surfing gun-related forums I actually wonder what is "Krinkov"? As far as I get this is an American nick name for short-barrel AKs of different models, but I have no ideas where this nickname comes from?.

Here in Russia AKS-74U rifles (official index is 6P26) have a few nicknames: 'Xusha' (pet name from 'Xenia') and 'Suchka' (i.e. 'Bitch').
'Canareyka' (i.e. 'Canary') is a name for suppressed modification with M203-style grenade laucher BS1.
The whole 1970x military program of developing Russian PDW was called 'Modern'.

'Krinkov' is neither a name of AKSU designer. AKS-74U had been developed in Izhevsk in by M.T.Kalashnikov. Later AK-10x compact models were developed by Mr. Nickonov, Mr.Turkin and Mr.Cypko.

So nobody calls AKS-74U 'Krinkov' here in Russia! And in this case where does the name 'Krinkov' come from?

I would be happy if anyone has some information on this question.

Yours sincerely,
Sergey Podgirin

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Привет Sergey,

Nice to have a Russian here and I hope I got the right translation for Hello.

I beginning to think the Flroida builder story is looking more likely.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I remember when they were 1st seen in Afghanistan and Soldier of Fortune magazine had one of their "Field Editors" bring back pictures and they did a story about the rifle. That was the 1st time I saw a pic of one and they called them Krinkovs. So it may be an Afghani slang word as I'm pretty sure those guys were not hanging out with the Soviet troops.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
now why would a bunch of folks that speak afgani name a rifle with a russian sounding name? "hey mohamad let me see that krinkov"........I don't think so. by the way that other theory about the krinks receiver, having something to do with the name.......that doesn't fly either, nobody even imported AKS-74U parts kit when they were in business....it wasn't imported until many many years later when they went out of business, so how can something that wasn't even in the country be name from that?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
Another firearms mystery?
yep........just like the word "ma duece" in the 20 years I was in the Army (75-95) I have never heard of a M2 MG refered to it by that nickname, either in our unit, in the fieid with other branches like the infantry, armor. it wasn't until I retired then I heard it call that and from some wannabes....now who came up with that "ma duece" name.........probably some wannnabe (SOF mag?). which is what I think maybe have happened to the AKS-74U....some wannabe somewhere coined that term, and it somehow spread....gotta admit it does sound catchy...and catchy names will travel fast. but there is no reasonable explination yet that I have heard that even sounds plausible for it being called a 'krinkov". just another mystery that will probably never be solved........but I'm sure it probably originated here in the US then anywhere else.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
The 1st printed use I could find was an old magazine called "Survival Weapons and Tactics" from Sept 1984. They have a real short article "Captured! The Soviet AKR Assault Rifle, an enigma wrapped in a question." It talks about a group of Soviet soldiers that were captured by the Afghans and how one of them had a small Assault rifle that was the 1st of it's kind to be captured. It goes on to say "The late Soviet owner did little to shed any light on the subject other than to refer to it as an "AKR" or a "Krinkof". There is much speculation as to what "Krinkof" means, and opinions run from that being the gun designer's nameto simply a slang term for it"
Not much info but it seems it was a russian slang word.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have a friend that claims to have been in the unit that brought back the very 1st krinkov and he never referes to any of my Krinks by anything other than AKS-74u, he acted as if he had never heard the term Krinkov before I said it. I'll ask him if he know anything on the name.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
OK so here is the scoop, the name was a code used by an SOF field reasearcher doing work on the Afgan-Pakistan border back in the early 80's, his name was David Isby and they were looking for information on the AKSU-74 and trying to put their hands on one, not trusting the Paki phone lines, they came up with this code name for the little rifle (dont know what their inspiration for the name was but never-the-less) I have not varified the information but it comes from a very trusted and reliable source. I'm sure someone can do a search on his name and come up with something more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i think that "krinkov" probably is an american nickname that jokingly imitates the slavic/ russian language. our country has a history of conjuring up labels for things, especially if it has some type of ethnic roots.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
no doubt that "krinkov" is a American invention........same like we used to refer to russian soldiers as "Ivan".........now who came up with that name to call russian soldiers that, has long been debated.....simple answer is that the name 'krinkov" will have a lot of fathers claiming they are the ones who called it that......but really I wouldn't take any of them with any degree of seriousness......it's always after the fact that people want to claim the title of 'namer" since it's well known. so take everyone that claims title to calling it that, with a truck load of salt. just like most things, it will be lost in the maze of claimers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts