1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Millionaire basketball players couldn't
keep their anger within the court's
boundaries.

Quite a brawl, with chairs being thrown and everything else people pay to see in the WWE! Ron Artest retaliated against the crowd after some jerk splashed him with a cup of beer. What would the "Bad Boys" of Detroit's championship team think about it? Would they be angry at the site shown on TV of kids crying after seeing their heroes act like schoolyard bullies?

Sex, Violence and Pro Sports -
titillation for the masses?

Basketball is an adrenaline driven game, now populated by a lot of young men raised in Housing Projects. Was the free-for-all really unexpected? Maybe management has been sowing the seeds of this publicity stunt, sort of like the Monday Night football commercial with an NFL player skipping a game to do the nasty with a desperate housewife? Was it coincidence they used a "black" player and a "white" woman in a commercial shown in the 6:00 pm time slot of the West Coast? Doesn't it make you wonder whether the NFL really was unaware of the Janet Jackson thing in the last Super Bowl half time show? That, too, involved people of different "races." Were they flirting with the mandingo thing for biggest effect?

Maybe, we're being used as chumps, and our children, too?

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
I don't follow basketball, but the Indiana player that started it all by shoving the Detriot player, and then when nuts, pretty much intigating everything, would get 1 year in jail (a Detroit jail) if it was up to me.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
This is the first I've heard about any braw at a basketball game. I quit watching pro sports a long time ago because of crap like that. I will only watch college games now. l

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I still love baseball. Been a fan too many years to give it up. Thought I was a player once until I started seeing American Legion curveballs from 6' 2" fireballers.

I was once a rabid Browns fan until Modell took them to Baltimore. I don't have the enthusiasm I once had and some of it is due to what DorGunR said.

Even the Division I college guys are getting bad these days. My son is still a rabid fan. He is in Columbus right now at the Ohio State-Michigan game.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Yeah, Fox news called it "Basketbrawl" But to buttress Aclay47's observations they have sure got publicity and you have to wonder if that kind of attention could be looked apon as free promotion by management?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
No PR gambit would surprise me anymore. I'm betting two bits the NFL and TV execs are loving the recent Monday Night Football controversy despite public proclamations to the contrary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts