Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
gunco irregular
3,554 Posts
They kind of gloss over the whole murder or a prohibited person posessing a gun is still illegal.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
And that the vast majority of crime guns are stolen guns anyway. Plus, from what I have read their definition of "ghost gun" isn't only a DIY gun, but one without a serial number. As in all those stolen guns with the number ground off are "ghost guns" too, inflating the numbers.

·
gunco irregular
3,554 Posts
I looked at the atf site where it talks about firearm traces and couldn't find any number of arrests the traces led to or what percentage of those numbers were stolen or not traceable to a living owner.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,844 Posts
eh...... its just a hot term.

this hobby has been building guns without numbers for 20+ years....

nothing is gonna change that criminals have guns anytime they want one. no "law" will stop that.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I looked at the atf site where it talks about firearm traces and couldn't find any number of arrests the traces led to or what percentage of those numbers were stolen or not traceable to a living owner.
I don't think it has ever lead to an arrest unless the perp was an idiot. Need a getaway car for the bank robbery, you steal one not use your wife's minivan. Same with guns. Besides most criminals would already be prohibited from buying a gun so it's not like a trace would reveal anything beyond the first owner who had it stolen 3 years ago. Since then it has likely passed through dozens of criminals possession.

About the only use a trace would be is to determine if someone is buying guns by the dozen and giving them to crooks. Again, an idiot move but apparently some folks do it.

But that is the mindset of Federal LE. Many Yahrons ago a friend who was shift foreman at a local box factory got a visit from 2 FBI agents at work. Seems a federal Judge had gotten a package containing a bomb and one of their boxes was what it was in. Now this is an actual box factory, who sell in the thousands not some boutique operation making custom ones to individual order. Anyway, this guy actually remembered the order as it had been a huge one they worked on for a while. Was for a candy bar maker IIRC, when the agents found out they still had the original dies they got all excited and took tons of pictures.

Now think about this for a minute, some mad bomber grabbed an empty box out of the dumpster behind a gas station or C-store and used it to send a bomb to a VIP. What possible use could tracking it down to the maker serve? Especially when it was one of maybe 10K identical boxes sent all over the US? Yet 2 agents were tasked with this, travel expenses, etc. They probably visited the candy company too.

·
gunco irregular
3,554 Posts
eh...... its just a hot term.

this hobby has been building guns without numbers for 20+ years....

nothing is gonna change that criminals have guns anytime they want one. no "law" will stop that.
I don't think it has ever lead to an arrest unless the perp was an idiot. Need a getaway car for the bank robbery, you steal one not use your wife's minivan. Same with guns. Besides most criminals would already be prohibited from buying a gun so it's not like a trace would reveal anything beyond the first owner who had it stolen 3 years ago. Since then it has likely passed through dozens of criminals possession.

About the only use a trace would be is to determine if someone is buying guns by the dozen and giving them to crooks. Again, an idiot move but apparently some folks do it.

But that is the mindset of Federal LE. Many Yahrons ago a friend who was shift foreman at a local box factory got a visit from 2 FBI agents at work. Seems a federal Judge had gotten a package containing a bomb and one of their boxes was what it was in. Now this is an actual box factory, who sell in the thousands not some boutique operation making custom ones to individual order. Anyway, this guy actually remembered the order as it had been a huge one they worked on for a while. Was for a candy bar maker IIRC, when the agents found out they still had the original dies they got all excited and took tons of pictures.

Now think about this for a minute, some mad bomber grabbed an empty box out of the dumpster behind a gas station or C-store and used it to send a bomb to a VIP. What possible use could tracking it down to the maker serve? Especially when it was one of maybe 10K identical boxes sent all over the US? Yet 2 agents were tasked with this, travel expenses, etc. They probably visited the candy company too.
That's my thoughts as well. Just looking at my own non-home made guns a goodly portion cannot be tracked back to me using a trace and they are all legal transfers and not stolen street guns that are prefered by criminals.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
And like anything else, if demand is there someone will supply it. In the perfect USA gun grabbers envision all guns besides the ones in .GOV hands (and theirs apparently, amazing how many of them get caught using their own guns illegally) are gone, what would happen?

First, cops would be getting killed for their guns. Everywhere they go they would have to worry about someone hiding around the corner with a baseball bat ready to take them out. Same with soldiers, they aren't trusted with live ammo outside a war zone or the firing range, yet they carry around some pretty nifty hardware.

Second, all the drug smugglers would be tossing a few dozen handguns and rifles in with their packages of coke and heroin, they just slide them under the drugs so no one will ever find them...

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ghost guns are the new Saturday Night Specials:

You are right kernelkrink about soldiers being robbed of their firearms. I remember back in the late 1970's, soldiers on guard with empty rifles at Fort Dix, NJ, were being robbed of their rifles:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The kit gun or AKA "Ghost Gun" has be around for many years. It hasn't been a problem until the Democrats found that it is owned without going through a governmental check. Have you noticed that the "gun show loop hole" talk has stopped. It's because they have found something else to sink their teeth into, the kit guns. The amount of kit guns involved in gun violence is very small when you do the true numbers.
It just means they do plan to disarm everyone in the future, is why they need every gun numbered & registered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Firearms tracing is a scam. ATF says it over and over, because it is the reason they exist. If it was recognized that it isn't a useful investigative tool, it would be hard to justify their budget...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts