Gunco Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, for those of you who read this as a reply to someone else's post, I copied and pasted it as a new thread. I'd love to know why you believe in God (those of you that do).

Those of you that don't: I sincerely believe in and respect your right to believe what you want and speak your mind, but I'm asking you to please respect those who do believe and leave this thread to the believers' true stories of why they believe. Thanks.

Here's mine:

I believe in God.

I have had too many occurrences in my life where I miraculously got out of trouble when I shouldn't have. I'm talking both minor things and life-or-death instances.

One example: I used to live down a dirt road with NO traffic. Where that road joined a paved cross street, there was also NO traffic most of the time. As a result, I had gotten in the habit of "running" the stop sign at the intersection without even looking, much less stopping.

One day, just as I started to pull out into the intersection, "something" either told me to put my foot on the brake or lifted my foot and put it there without my permission. The feeling I had at the time was that it was kind of a combination of both.

Just as I, or something, pushed my foot down and slammed on the brake, a car zoomed by going way over the speed limit. Had I not stopped EXACTLY when I did, I probably would have died.

I've also experienced some things which lead me to believe that there is a definite personage of evil in the world, i.e., an intelligent person or force who has an agenda to advance evil. Call it the devil, or whatever label you want to give it, but I have experienced some things that cannot be explained away.

One example:

One night I was lying in bed with my back to the window. I perceived that something was watching me. As I lay there, the feeling became an intense feeling of fear and evil, like if I turned to look at whatever it was, it would kill me.

I prayed hard. I broke out in a cold sweat. Gradually, whatever it was left and I felt better. It's important to realize that it left when IT wanted to, not when I wanted it to.

I want to clarify this: Yes, I KNOW that prayer is what drove it away. When I said that the thing left when IT wanted to, I phrased it the way I did to emphasize that the thing left of its own volition and it wasn't just a case of my "deciding it was my imagination" or some other mundane explanation. I wanted to emphasize that this was not just me with the "heebie jeebies" but a real, separate, intelligent, malevolent entity.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Well I too posted in the other thread, but here goes:

I know a person who was diagnosed with cancer, seen two other doctors who gave the same results, prayed about it, went back to the first doctor to discuss options. Doctor re-examined and the cancer was gone.

Started to town one day, forgot the check book, so I came back and got it. This delayed me by 5 minutes. On my way into town, the road had been blocked by a rock slide. The guy that was behind me on my first attempt to town was there and he said he seen the rocks coming down and just got stopped within inches of the rocks. I would have been in front of him.

One time me and the wife were struggling with bills. We were hit with a few un expected things and needed $800 to get us back on our feet. For this part I'll have to lay a little background. My wife attended college and had been out for two years. We recieved a letter from her college. She opened it up. They had been reviewing their records and 6 years later noticed they had overcharged my wife's tuition her freshman year and sent her a refund check. The amount of the check, well, $800.

I could easily reach post #2000 if I mention them all.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I've had some really freaky paranormal things happen to me when I was stone cold sober and I have no other way to desribe them as God based.

One of those stories about money I have is:

The wife and I were coming back from Maryland and when we got close to home the trans in my car was melting down and we just inched into the drive with smokke pouring out form underneath the car as the trans was fried. We had no extra moneny and we were deep in debt more so than now. We had this other car that had been for sale for 6 months? 1 or 2 calls on it and nothing. We got home to 6 calls about that car on the answering machine! As we were limping home my wife and I said a prayer for the car and a way to fix it.

I used to say a prayer everytime I went on a road trip for the car I was driving several times I have had trips where the car broke just as I was getting to my destination or returning home.

I've always asked in prayer for the car I was driving to make it where I was going and if it was going to breakdown it should be at the end of a trip.

Weird? It's just one of the things that makes me believe. We prayed aover my daughter when she was diagnosed with skin cancer then we got the final results and there was no cancer. When she went in the hospital 3 days after her birth with a mystery infection we prayed and they never did figure out what caused her to become close to death.

I came very close to death this past summer and had a voice not commanded me to hit the nurse call button I probably would have died. They had just gotten me all comfy and medicated for the night and I was not on a monitor hooked to their nurses station. They hooked my up for the night after that! They probably would not have checked on me for a few hours and I would have went for sure.

My Grandma went that way in her sleep after having 2 minor strokes. She passed and no one knew for hours.

Too many strange things for me......

·
Registered
258 Posts
i to have had prayers answered. and have had the good lord looking after me when bad things could have happened. plant the seed in the non believers and try to make them be believers . the word of god will bring the strongest man to his knees and make him weep like a baby.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
In another thread I asked whether or not folks believed in God.

For those who do, I was curious who was a Christian, and why. While this thread would seem to be answers to this question, so far it isn't. It's folks saying why they believe in God and/or why they believe in the power of prayer*.

But, if you could, I would be very interested to know why you are Christian? There are many folks who believe in God who are not Christians, and many folks who believe in the power of prayer who are not Christians.

* I happen to think that praying for one's enemies is an especially helpful thing to do. It may or may not help your enemies, but it will certainly help you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
In another thread I asked whether or not folks believed in God.

For those who do, I was curious who was a Christian, and why. While this thread would seem to be answers to this question, so far it isn't. It's folks saying why they believe in God and/or why they believe in the power of prayer*.

But, if you could, I would be very interested to know why you are Christian? There are many folks who believe in God who are not Christians, and many folks who believe in the power of prayer who are not Christians.

* I happen to think that praying for one's enemies is an especially helpful thing to do. It may or may not help your enemies, but it will certainly help you.
who are you praying to when you pray? i accepted the lord jesus christ as my savior at 15. i know i'm a born again christian . if your more interested i have a book i will send you if you pm me your mailing address.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
* I happen to think that praying for one's enemies is an especially helpful thing to do. It may or may not help your enemies, but it will certainly help you.[/QUOTE]

yes it is like to heap hot coals on his head!!!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Being Christian? It's the right thing to do. You've even said yourself that you honor 5 through 10 of The Commandments. I've seen miracles and I want to keep seeing them. But being a Christian is alot more than Fire Insurance. It's about showing love and appreciation to God and feeling love and appreciation in return. It's knowing that He is going to be looking out for me no matter what. That doesn't mean that nothing bad isn't going to happen to me on Earth, but knowing that He will be waiting on me if it does. It's knowing that I have a personal relationship with the Creator of the Universe. This may be a poor explanation as to why, but it's a wonderful feeling that is really hard to explain.

Have to ask you something though Dzerzhinsky. You've discarded 4 of the Commandments, would you also discard 4 of the Amendments of The Bill of Rights? There's 10 of each, which ones would you do without? Because to me it's a package deal that shouldn't be busted up in either case.

I'm not meaning this as a flame, just curious.

·
Registered
329 Posts
MAJOR PITA said:
Sorry, for those of you who read this as a reply to someone else's post, I copied and pasted it as a new thread. I'd love to know why you believe in God (those of you that do).
First of all, I would like to say that I don't agree with the TITLE of this thread.

I believe in GOD, however I do not believe in Jesus as a "savior" (and NO I am not Jewish).

Although I have had many experiences such as you have had (close calls, things that should have killed me but didn't, "warnings" out of nowhere, etc...), that is *NOT* the reason I believe in God.

All I have to do is look into the night sky and see a few of the countless stars out there and be awestruck at the immensity of it, or think of the perfect harmony and balance of Nature or just think about how a molecule such as DNA can direct cells to become a complete living person... such things are beyond my comprehension and are certainly beyond anything that anyone can understand... then I realize that there MUST be a God.

Reduce it to the simplest question... "which came first, the chicken or the egg"... only the existance of God can answer that.

What I DESPISE are people who think WE are the only self-aware lifeforms in the universe and that God did it all for US and only "cares" about US. What utter audacity for humans to place themselves so close to God as to think we are the "only ones".

I'm sure most of the stars in the universe have planets orbiting them just like our Sun does... and lots of those planets have life... and lots of that life is self aware.

They all probably come to the same conclusion... there must be a God.

I just wonder if they are as narrow minded as humans are... to think that God only made THEM...?

Roger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts