Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I heard a sound-bite from Bush defending the mega-deficit Presidential budget, saying that it was so big because of the costs of Social Security and the costs of the Iraq war. But that he was going to fix the former and win the latter during his term of office.

Sounded real good, good response.

Only a couple of problems: Social Security won't be running into a deficit for a few more years and in any event isn't part of the Presidential budget, and the appropriations for the Iraqi war are done separately and also aren't part of the Presidential budget. Which leaves me with the following options to select from:

1. Bush is even stupider than I could ever be, and really does know less about the Federal budgetary process than I do even though he's President; or

2. Bush isn't stupider than I am - he just contempuously presumes that I'm so stupid he can lie to me with impunity.

No third choice. I gravitate towards #2.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
We need a honest man in the oval office. Bring back Klintoon. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
A few days ago I heard a sound-bite from Bush defending the mega-deficit Presidential budget, saying that it was so big because of the costs of Social Security and the costs of the Iraq war. But that he was going to fix the former and win the latter during his term of office.

Sounded real good, good response.

Only a couple of problems: Social Security won't be running into a deficit for a few more years and in any event isn't part of the Presidential budget, and the appropriations for the Iraqi war are done separately and also aren't part of the Presidential budget. Which leaves me with the following options to select from:

1. Bush is even stupider than I could ever be, and really does know less about the Federal budgetary process than I do even though he's President; or

2. Bush isn't stupider than I am - he just contempuously presumes that I'm so stupid he can lie to me with impunity.

No third choice. I gravitate towards #2.

Well, I won't pretend that I understand the budget making process....but doesn't the President send a proposed budget to the House and it goes from there? Wouldn't it include all the things that he thinks needs funding and at the funding level he thinks appropriate?

Also, why wait untill there is a defecit to start working on the problem...everyone says it's coming so why wait....unless you want to wait for a Democratic President to "fix" it the Democratic way?

As far as "#2".....I guess he and every other politician can lie to you with impunity as there ain't a heck of a lot you or me could do about it...except point out that we think they are lying....you/Bush me/Clinton

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
N/A said:
... Wouldn't it include all the things that he thinks needs funding and at the funding level he thinks appropriate?...
Nope. Doesn't include Social Security. Actually, if it did (which it didn't), Social Security would offset the deficit in the Presidential budget since it's currently running in the black, wouldn't add to it as Bush said.

And the appropriation for the Iraq war is done separately. Some folks are raising a fuss over that because it's anticipated that the next appropriations request for the Iraqi war will be $200 billion - that is not part of the Presidential budget.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pogo said:
We need a honest man in the oval office. Bring back Klintoon. :D
I hated him to, and for much the same reason.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aviator said:
He is a politician isn't he?
Oh, now there's a good reason for just blowing it off when your President treats you with contemptuous dishonesty.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
I hated him to, and for much the same reason.
Well, I guess it's too bad the "honest" guy, John F#@%ing Kerry didn't get elected then. :D

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Social Security was in fat city until LBJ made it part of the General Fund back in the '60s and LBJ knew damn well this was gonna cause a problem down the road.........long after he would be out of office.........if ya wanna yell at someone Dizzy...........yell at the Dimocraps.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Consider who we've been speaking of: GW Bush. Clinton. Kerry. Johnson.

Of the four, I find Kerry to be the least despicable - which gives new meaning to faint praise.

Is this really the best this country can do?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Of the four, I find Kerry to be the least despicable - which gives new meaning to faint praise.
Well that's your opinion..............and you know what they say about those.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Nope, it's not the best we can do.....but it has become too expensive for anyone of good character but low means to run...and the present two party monopoly with its tightly controlled clique does not endear itself to good people of good character.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DorGunR said:
...and you know what they say about those.
If they're mine they're right?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
If they're mine they're right?
No, everyone has an asshole and most of 'em stink yours included.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DorGunR said:
No, everyone has an asshole and most of 'em stink yours included.
OK, but just how you know that mine stinks will remain our little secret.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
N/A said:

the present two party monopoly with its tightly controlled clique does not endear itself to good people of good character.
I honestly believe Bush Jr. is good people of good character, however, the system has already been set up for failure, his hands are tied. Try to go against the establishment and what do you get?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Mr. D.,

Number 2 is a given for all officeholders. They know we're stupid because we voted for them, and they know what scum0bags they are!

As far as Bush's intelligence, pretty good grades at Harvard Business, Kerry graduated from a very mediocre Law School, who's Dean owed him a real big favor, and Al Gore of course flunked out of Divinity School.

Intelligence, present or absent isn't necessarily the problem ..... Integrity ALWAYS is!

:)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
5KNIVES said:
Intelligence, present or absent isn't necessarily the problem ..... Integrity ALWAYS is!

:)
Amazingly enough, I agree. I'd rather have a not-so-bright man of principle as Prez than a brilliant sleaze; one problem I see is that we sometimes mistake cunning for wisdom.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
"Consider who we've been speaking of: GW Bush. Clinton. Kerry. Johnson.

Of the four, I find Kerry to be the least despicable - which gives new meaning to faint praise."

Awwwww, Dzer. Say it ain't so. Say you're really not FRED?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I doubt that Fred knows who Kerry is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts