Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years back I took a job as a pawn shop manager in a small Midwest city and that shop dealt heavily in firearms.

In the first week I was there a fellow bought a Raven .25 cal. semiauto pistol, leaving a deposit so he could pick up the firearm on his payday. On payday he paid the balance, filled out the 4473 and left with the firearm and a single box of ammunition.

The next morning as I was opening the shop I was visited by an investigator from the parole board of the state in which the shop was located who asked me to give her the 4473 of the sale. I refused to do so as she lacked law enforcement credentials and I was right.

Shortly thereafter an agent of the state investigation bureau showed up and I cooperated fully.

Seems the fellow who had purchased the firearm had kidnapped a local taxi driver, killed him with a shot to the head and wounded a police officer who had tried to intervene. The perp was captured an ensconced in the local hooscow facing kidnapping, first degree murder, assault on a police officer, attempted murder of a police office and parole violation!

"PAROLE VIOLATION!", I thought and was then informed by the agent that the perp was on parole for a long series of felonies and living in the local halfway house.

The address he gave on the 4473 struck me as familiar but as a new resident of the town it didn't register with me that it was the address of the halfway house.

Needless to say, I was devastated and it took me some time to reach the conclusion that I was not responsible for the tragedy by selling the firearm but had been failed by the law.

The taxi driver left a disabled wife and three children behind and I spend some time helping them get assistance from both the state and federal governments.

A background check would have stopped the sale in its tracks and gotten the perp immediately locked up and facing charges of a felon attempting to purchase a firearm.

All rights have limitations; one cannot shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theater when there is no fire without facing consequences. one cannot vote more than once in a single election, one cannot take the property of others except in due course of law and one can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.

The perp is locked up for the rest of his miserable life.

Background checks are a good thing.

· gunco irregular
3,679 Posts
You are correct in that you bear no responsible from the rampage this criminal went on. Background checks for handguns have been a federal thing since 1998 and they haven't managed in that time to implement a system that would automatically look into the people who failed their check for cause. Before we start talking about "universal background checks" , adding or changing firearm purchase laws they need to start using current laws that are being ignored.

How many of the 112,000 background checks that failed due to falsified information do you think resulted in an arrest by the BAFTE in 2017? Would only 12 arrests be shocking? I wouldn't be shocked to find out those 12 individuals were already charged wtih something else and the 4473 charge was just an add-on or were on the agencies radar already. The BAFTE generally lets the states handle these charges and most states simply do nothing. Straight from the US Government Accountability office. Law Enforcement: Few Individuals Denied Firearms Purchases Are Prosecuted and ATF Should Assess Use of Warning Notices in Lieu of Prosecutions

· Registered
40 Posts
Some years back I took a job as a pawn shop manager in a small Midwest city and that shop dealt heavily in firearms.

In the first week I was there a fellow bought a Raven .25 cal. semiauto pistol, leaving a deposit so he could pick up the firearm on his payday. On payday he paid the balance, filled out the 4473 and left with the firearm and a single box of ammunition.

The next morning as I was opening the shop I was visited by an investigator from the parole board of the state in which the shop was located who asked me to give her the 4473 of the sale. I refused to do so as she lacked law enforcement credentials and I was right.

Shortly thereafter an agent of the state investigation bureau showed up and I cooperated fully.

Seems the fellow who had purchased the firearm had kidnapped a local taxi driver, killed him with a shot to the head and wounded a police officer who had tried to intervene. The perp was captured an ensconced in the local hooscow facing kidnapping, first degree murder, assault on a police officer, attempted murder of a police office and parole violation!

"PAROLE VIOLATION!", I thought and was then informed by the agent that the perp was on parole for a long series of felonies and living in the local halfway house.

The address he gave on the 4473 struck me as familiar but as a new resident of the town it didn't register with me that it was the address of the halfway house.

Needless to say, I was devastated and it took me some time to reach the conclusion that I was not responsible for the tragedy by selling the firearm but had been failed by the law.

The taxi driver left a disabled wife and three children behind and I spend some time helping them get assistance from both the state and federal governments.

A background check would have stopped the sale in its tracks and gotten the perp immediately locked up and facing charges of a felon attempting to purchase a firearm.

All rights have limitations; one cannot shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theater when there is no fire without facing consequences. one cannot vote more than once in a single election, one cannot take the property of others except in due course of law and one can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.

The perp is locked up for the rest of his miserable life.

Background checks are a good thing.
How many forums are you going to spam with this tripe?

· Registered
19 Posts
My problem with the background checks is the gubermints both Federal and State keep records of the law abiding citizen's purchases. In the future these may be used to confiscate their firearms.
At least here in Georgia we have a slight buffer in that we don't have to have a NICS check run if we have a Georgia weapons permit. So we still have to fill out the 4473 at the FFL, but the government knows nothing about it unless they pick the right FFL and come down and check through their papers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts