Gunco Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1103649354626_99058554/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

World's tiniest baby almost ready to go home

Updated: Tue. Dec. 21 2004 11:32 PM ET

The mother of a baby believed to be the world's tiniest surviving newborn has high hopes for her record-setting daughter.

At a news conference at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, Illinois on Tuesday, the world was introduced to tiny baby Rumaisa, her slightly-bigger sister Hiba and their proud parents.

Beaming, Mahajabeen Shaik said she didn't "have the words to say how thankful I was" for the first chance to hold her twin two-month-old daughters for the first time recently.

"It's a blessing, it's a great blessing," she said.

Shaik, 23, had to wait so long because Rumaisa and Hiba were born prematurely after she developed pre-ecampsia just 26 weeks into her pregnancy.

A full-term baby is typically born after 40 weeks in its mother's womb.

Characterized by high blood pressure and other problems that can put an unborn child's health at risk, the disorder compelled doctors to rush a caesarean section delivery.

When they were born on Sept. 19, Hiba weighed only 1 pound and four ounces while her sister Rumaisa barely tipped the scales at 8.6 ounces.

Now, Rumaisa weighs a heftier 2 pounds, 10 ounces and is healthy enough to warrant the prospect of an early release.

"They're maintaining their temperature; they don't need an incubator. They're taking their bottles," Dr. William MacMillan told reporters at the press briefing. "They're normal babies."

Doctors said the pair could be out of the hospital by January.

The girls' father, Mohammed Abdul Rahman, said he can hardly wait to have the girls at home.

"We want them to be good human beings, good citizens, and she wants them to be doctors," Rahman said.

"Doctors. Yes, of course, of course," Shaik added, laughing.

When she was born, Rumaisa weighed over an ounce less than the previous "world's smallest baby" Madeline Mann. Now 15, Mann is described as a lively honour student just slightly smaller than other girls her age.

·
Registered
681 Posts
wow, Preacher... I saw that on the news... Isn't that something?
And the good news is that both sisters are fairly healthy given their bleak beginning.
The good Lord is smiling on those 2 little ones.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 lb and 8.6 oz!!!! It's a miracle they even lived. Yeah, I'd say someone is smiling. On the flip side, my brother was asking his wife's doctor what was the biggest baby he'd delivered. He said he'd delivered a 13 pounder but one that would probably beat that was a lady that had 10 lb twins. Wow, 20 lbs of baby. I felt sorry for her!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Preacher said:
1 lb and 8.6 oz!!!! It's a miracle they even lived. Yeah, I'd say someone is smiling. On the flip side, my brother was asking his wife's doctor what was the biggest baby he'd delivered. He said he'd delivered a 13 pounder but one that would probably beat that was a lady that had 10 lb twins. Wow, 20 lbs of baby. I felt sorry for her!
2222222222222222 10 lb babies--Lord I hope she had a C-section.........

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taz38 said:
Nope, naturally! Now that's one tough lady. I'll take my hat off to her anyday!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Taz38 said:

Or a killer epidural! :eek:

My twin cousins were born premature and just slightly over a pound. I remember my Aunt showing them to us behind the glass at the nursery. She had one twin in one palm and the other in her arm, he had an IV in his head because that was the only place they could get it to him. Now they are 18 and taller than me.

Loyola is a good hospital, sounds like the babies got great treatment. Amazing how tiny one can be.

When I see that, I can't help but to wonder how someone could get a partial birth abortion and it isn't considered murder. :(

Someone is going to have a very blessed Christmas this year. :)

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sandy said:
When I see that, I can't help but to wonder how someone could get a partial birth abortion and it isn't considered murder. :(
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!! Sandy.

Thanks for saying it.

Later on we need to ask Strange Destiny if her twins were 10 pounders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Taz38 said:
If not, the next time her husband tries to get a little frisky, he just might find himself feeling a little... errr.... inadequate :)

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We never did find out if SD's twins were 10 pounders. :thumbup1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts