Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this HS is in Sangrun's neighborhood....

The kid suspended for not getting permission but I would be willing to bet they would have turned him down based upon content.

Student Suspended For Handing Out Religious Fliers (Letter included)
Channel Cincinnati.com ^ | 9 Dec 04

Student Suspended For Handing Out Religious Fliers Student To Spend 5 Days Working For Charities

POSTED: 4:29 pm EST December 9, 2004 UPDATED: 6:18 pm EST December 9, 2004

OAK HILLS -- A teenager was suspended from a Tri-state high school for handing out letters promoting his Christian faith, News 5's Emily Longnecker reported.

Investigators said Eric Bast, a senior at Oak Hills High School, distributed personally addressed letters to his peers during homeroom Wednesday. When the students opened the envelopes, they found a letter about Jesus Christ.

Bast was suspended for five days because of the incident and he says he wrote the letter and organized its distribution with volunteers.

"I didn't know exactly whether I was going to get in trouble, I just knew that there was a possibility ... but I still wanted to do it," Bast said.

School officials said the content of the letter isn't the real problem, Longnecker reported. They said Bast needed to get permission to pass out the letter.

Officials were also concerned that Bast may have used school time and resources to produce the letter that some students may have found offensive.

"I'm not forcing anybody to make any choice, I just wanted to give everybody the option," Bast said.

School officials said they have received several calls about the letter. The calls were expressing both positive and negative opinions about the incident.

Stay tuned to WLWT and refresh channelcincinnati.com for additional information.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
"I'm not forcing anybody to make any choice, I just wanted to give everybody the option," Bast said.

Nothing wrong with that.

Heck we don't have an option as far as taxes, do we?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I can see where that might upset parents of kids from Buhiddist, Sikh, Jewish,Muslim,Hindu,Pagan, and other non-Christian households. The school really can't be seen as promoting one religion over another, even if it didn't know anything about it.
And yes, he would have been denied based on content. Just as if he had been handing out letters on the joys of Islam, Judiasm, or Wicca. Whatever, the school isn't a Church, Mosque, or other place of worship, and certainly not a place to atttempt conversions.
This was a stunt, nothing more, probably dreamed up by his folks.
As I remember, our GI's in Iraq were having to pull out religious materials from school supplies donated by "Christian sources" who knew where they were going, but couldn't resist the opportunity to try and spread the word whether it was wanted or not .
I also seem to remember another group, Operation Christmas Child (Shepards Purse) that was sending Christmas gifts to kids in Afghanistan.....they have people donate shoeboxes full of toys and stuff, then stuff some religious literature in on top and give it out. I understand the kids were puzzled, but happy, about getting gifts for nothing (being Muslim,Christmas did not compute) and enjoyed looking at all the pretty pics in the literature (it being printed in English, which almost no one in A-stan reads.)

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cammobunker said:
I can see where that might upset parents of kids from Buhiddist, Sikh, Jewish,Muslim,Hindu,Pagan, and other non-Christian households. The school really can't be seen as promoting one religion over another, even if it didn't know anything about it.
And yes, he would have been denied based on content. Just as if he had been handing out letters on the joys of Islam, Judiasm, or Wicca. Whatever, the school isn't a Church, Mosque, or other place of worship, and certainly not a place to atttempt conversions.
This was a stunt, nothing more, probably dreamed up by his folks.
As I remember, our GI's in Iraq were having to pull out religious materials from school supplies donated by "Christian sources" who knew where they were going, but couldn't resist the opportunity to try and spread the word whether it was wanted or not .
I also seem to remember another group, Operation Christmas Child (Shepards Purse) that was sending Christmas gifts to kids in Afghanistan.....they have people donate shoeboxes full of toys and stuff, then stuff some religious literature in on top and give it out. I understand the kids were puzzled, but happy, about getting gifts for nothing (being Muslim,Christmas did not compute) and enjoyed looking at all the pretty pics in the literature (it being printed in English, which almost no one in A-stan reads.)
I think you make a very good point.

I wonder though if he would have been stopped had it been another topic?

Would he have been suspended for passing out a flyer on "save the whales" or "stop the violence" or some other more acceptable PC message?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Bet money they wouldn't be making a fuss if it was literature from "Planned" "Parenthood" or GLAD that he was addressing and passing out.

Secular Humanism is a religion... and many people... not just Christians... find it just as highly offensive.

Schools should teach skills not morals, period.

I'd support reprimanding this kid, IF the rules were applied evenly... problem is... they seldom are.

Lynch

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
"The philosophy of the schoolroom in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next."

Abraham Lincoln

Man that sure is a scary thought!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts