Gunco Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean in converted form of course. Why would you consider it so or not so?
Would the 16" barrel version be more or less so that the 22"? Thanks, Just curious Taipan

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Unless it's a full auto AK that was manufactured by the various eastern bloc governments it's a variant and even those are variants of the original design.

Mostly everything we deal with is a variant in some form or another. The .308 Siaga is just another in the design (variant) of the original AK. Barrel length makes no difference, at least to me.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I'd consider it a MBR because it is mag fed and fires a full power cartridge. I know the Galil and Valmet .308s were nice rifles so I can't see why it wouldn't be just as good a choice as an H&K or an FAL. I know we are all spoiled with 20 and 30 rnd magazine capacities but one of the best MBR ever made, the Garand, used 8 rd clips.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, mag issues would come in to play huh? The 20 rounders are being brought in by EEA, but they are damned expensive. BattlerifleG3 has been working on a G3 mag conversion but it seems like forever, wonder if he'll finish it? If so 20 round mags would be cheap, and 30 rounders would be even available to you. Hell if you had $1000 a drum is available too, lol.

Looking at it cost wise of rifle, conversion, and mags I can see how it might be just as easy to buy an FAL, but would you have a huge advantage over the Saiga? What would make it better?

Just stirring up ideas........Taipan

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
What Grendeljaeger said... Consider the FAL, G3, M14, and I can't think of others right now. Technically I suppose the M-16 A2 would be considered an MBR strictly by definition as well. Then again, strictly by definition, the M-1 Carbine can be classified as a PDW.

Are you looking for a definition of barrel length? 16 vs. 22 would be there only for logistical purposes - 16" more of a para/tactical application vs. 22" being more of a "field" application. More barrel length = more muzzle velocity, so depending on what you want 22" is adequate. Would be more like an RPK or Valmet at that length.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been playin with a recently aqquired 22" saiga.308. It's a pretty fun gun to pop targets at the range. Mine is good for about 2" at 100 yards with portugese surplus and a 6x42 posp on the rail. The stock trigger is atrocious. My Redstar adjustable FCG is very nice but requires the PG conversion (which is manditory IMO anyway).

I think that overall the saiga is a better rifle than my Remington 743 in .308. - more accurate, more dependable and cheaper. The saiga seems more than adequate for general hunting except for the pisspoor stock trigger.

I wouldn't rate the saiga alongside a FAL or HK91 as a MBR though - even if 20 round mags were cheap and plentiful. .308 is stretching the limits of the stock AK47 action IMO. The saiga isn't as robust as a HK91 and certainly not as robust as a FAL. I don't think I would want to outfit 1000's of troops in the field with saiga .308s, nor would I want to fire one full auto for very many rounds. If I was headed out for SHTF duty with my fellow mall ninjas, I'd be packing my FAL - and we'd make the S sorry it ever HTF :)

The AK action was designed and envisioned as an assault rifle. I think MBR duty is a bit beyond what the action was made for. Makes a fun rifle to play with though.

s & p

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good post Spray.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
spray & pray said:
The saiga isn't as robust as a HK91 and certainly not as robust as a FAL. I don't think I would want to outfit 1000's of troops in the field with saiga .308s, nor would I want to fire one full auto for very many rounds. If I was headed out for SHTF duty with my fellow mall ninjas, I'd be packing my FAL - and we'd make the S sorry it ever HTF :)

The AK action was designed and envisioned as an assault rifle. I think MBR duty is a bit beyond what the action was made for. Makes a fun rifle to play with though.

s & p
I think the Galil .308 or the Valmet .308 are every bit as robust as the FAL or H&K. Admittedly they were built on milled receivers but the equally excellent Yugo .308 was built on a the thicker stamped RPK receiver as is the Saiga I believe. So if you added the military stocks and sights I don't see a problem with durability. As far as full auto I believe it is a mute point as most MBRs perform poorly on full auto because of the power to weight ratio. Lastly one of the best all time MBRs ever designed was the Garand, and it certainly didn't have full auto capability.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, a very nice one too Vit.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hay vit, Is that a FAL T48 hand guard by Tapco on your Saiga?

·
Registered
111 Posts
No jumping around :D and I wouldn't want to make it any longer or louder.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For the next upgrade I'm thinking of left side thumb safety like Galil and Krebs rifles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts