Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine is selling a '43 M-1911. This is an Ithaca, SN127xxxx, FJA under slide lock. Appears to have been nickel plated many years ago. Nickel is chipping. Not in best shape overall. Comes with what appears to be original holster. Is a wartime M1911 example like this even worth refinishing? Not looking for museum piece, but a shooter. In its present state what do you guys think its worth? What is the value including holster?

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
I see those two bald headed guys are still jogging :D

I really don't know, but it's less then one that was never plated, then there's the cost to have it stripped and refinished.
If no one can give you any ideas see if you can find one (not nickeled) for sale on line and go from there.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
To many variables to tell with out checking it out in person,,, but I'd say,,,,not worth to much from your description.

That would cost some kind of bucks, just to do the refinishing alone. Stripping the plating would cost the most, and half as much again to have it bead blasted and re-blued,, at the cheapest. A bead blast and hot blue wouldn't be to bad and the "quickest & dirt-est" way to do it.

Then ya got to figure,,,,, if your like the rest of us here,,, you'll end up with a new barrel and bushing, bigger grip safety, trigger group,new grips,, a new holster,,,ect,, ect,, ect,,, :lol: See where I'm going,,, buy it cheap!!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I second all the above post.

I always love the nickel plate lugers and P-38's folks try to sell as factory presentation pieces

there are few redo shops that redo colts perfectly but it will cost your buddy more than its worth

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
you could just coat it with some of the new high tech coatings --don't know how long it will last --but it will look much better than flaky nickle --

i would just sand blast what i could get off the thing and dura-coat the rest , and i have been itching to try that new spray teflon stuff--LOL

no i wouldn't think it would be a big $$$ piece. back in the day nickle plating was sort of cheap, lots of 1911s got the treatment when they went surplus.

might make a decent shooter and thats what they were built for anyway--

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Will see how cheap I can get it. Maybe a couple hundred...would be a good refinish project like you guys said. Been working on accumulating tanks and tools to park/blue. Might give me a reason to move forward with the blast cabinet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts