Gunco Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's an odd scenario to consider.

The Soviet Union, which had brought stability to the region along with tyranny, dissolves and the Ukraine becomes independent.

Several years later elections are being held in the Ukraine and it ends up being a contested election with charges of election fraud and rampant corruption.

Russia accuses the US of meddling in Ukrainian affairs. The US accuses Russia of meddling in Ukrainian affairs.

With new elections about to be held, the Ukrainian opposition candidate is poisoned but survives.

The U.S. Secretary of State states that what the Russians identify as Western meddling in the democratic process is the democratic process, and that the Ukraine has been waiting for free and fair elections, deserves free and fair elections, and will have free and fair elections.

We've gotten this far in what 20 years ago would be considered an exceptionally creative geopolitical fantasy.

Colin Powell is too smart to fail to recognize what he said as being dangerously close to a US guarantee of free and fair elections in the Ukraine, and too smart to not know that it was British and French guarantees of the Western border of Poland that culminated in WW-II.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
History always repeats itself.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Duck and cover.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Well if Western Civilization is going to blow itself to pieces again over a country, it better be a good one.
Personally Id like to see Western Civilization all gang up on someone together, like they did to the continent of Africa so long ago.
China would be a good candidate. We could call them Cathay again, refer to their ancient highly developed culture as "quaint," and force them to wear their hair in braids and pull us 'round in rikshaws while we pillage their natural resources and huge labor source.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, DB, in your scenario do we also get to replay the Opium Wars and go to war to ensure that the opium trade remains open? Now there's a cause I might consider worth fighting for!

[Yeah, hope this doesn't get out of control, although I do extend begrudged kudos to Bush and Powell for standing up to Putin.]

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Yeahhhhhhhh....

D.B.Cooper said:
Well if Western Civilization is going to blow itself to pieces again over a country, it better be a good one.
Personally Id like to see Western Civilization all gang up on someone together, like they did to the continent of Africa so long ago.
China would be a good candidate. We could call them Cathay again, refer to their ancient highly developed culture as "quaint," and force them to wear their hair in braids and pull us 'round in rikshaws while we pillage their natural resources and huge labor source.
You DO know how to have a good time.......

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Hey, DB, in your scenario do we also get to replay the Opium Wars and go to war to ensure that the opium trade remains open? Now there's a cause I might consider worth fighting for!

[Yeah, hope this doesn't get out of control, although I do extend begrudged kudos to Bush and Powell for standing up to Putin.]
Even though Putin pointed out that they don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to lecturing others about meddling in the internal affairs of sovereign nations?
:)

Now that you mentioned it, Afghanistan, which The United States currently administers through a puppet despot, is right now producing somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% of the world's opium. If we can successfully manage to bag China, too, then we will have a virtual stranglehold on the world's opium supply and we wont have to waste so many millions in taxpayer's dollars having the CIA import us all that cocaine from Colombia, and destabilizing governments south of the border to insure cheap production and delivery.
Another benefit to monopolization of the opium trade will be that 3rd world totalitarian governments ala Myanmar and North Korea (and to a small extent Iran, who's next up for a "regime change" as soon as Shrub can think of an excuse; likely 2006) who both depend cheifly on opium exports to prop up their juntas, will be subject to the threat of a massive price undercut by the country that has become the Wal-Mart of the world's opium (US), then you have more control over their country than if you were to actually invade and turn it into an unproductive chaotic quagmire like Shrub did to Iraq.

Shit...I gotta quit giving away my game plan...
:chinese: :fullauto:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Man, I STILL can't find the tinfoil hat smilie.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts