Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I talked to Springfield just yesterday and Barstow Precision makes drop in XD barrels and you can get them in 9mm, .40S&W and .357sig. So if you buy the .40S&W or the .357sig, you can get a 9mm barrel too...alll you would need to do is change mags;) Thought you might like to know...I have Barstow's number somewhere I will post it later :thumbup1:
Here it is: 760-367-2747 and the girl I talked to on the phone was really helpful:2guns:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I?m going Friday evening to pickup my XD .40 S&W. I?ve never thought of getting a 9mm barrel for it and most likely won?t. I went with the .40 S&W because I couldn?t get the .45GAP version. I have a very good 9mm Taurus PT-99 and love the gun, but I feel that the 9mm doesn?t have the knock down power I would trust my life too. (Too many stories of 3 to 5 shots needed for a knockdown) Another reason I got the .40 is the fact that no one could tell me if the .45GAP has a larger frame or not? I find the .40 fits my hand and is real comfortable with a very reachable trigger, (Short fat fingers) both very important facts to me. I?ll see if I can post a review next week after doing a Moly treatment and putting a couple of boxes of ammo through it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks for the info Magnus. I'm still out on the XD, I've read good things about them, and the 3 caliber interchangabilty is a sweet option. I'll always own 9mm, and even though I agree with Oldgunner regarding potential stopping power I've found it to be a joy to shoot and cost is dirt cheap if you're willing to shoot standard ball. (I run Wolf through my HiPower with my 20 and 30 round mags, my only complaint is filth, but you'll have that...:uzi: )

Forgive my ignorance regarding the XP, but are there any 10+ round mags compatible with the 9mm? I'm a firm believer that in a home defense firearm, (especially for the girlfriend or family member who doesn't shoot often), that extra rounds add up to extra chances at success. (I realize there are those who would disagree, the whole point of the 9mm handgun aka ~HiPower/Radom~ seemed to have that benefit in mind. In fact I do believe that's where law enforcement's initial interest in 9mm was...)

Where I live, which was once rural, we've experienced a terrible rash of bold break-ins. If they can't get the ammonium nitrate tanks they go for anything they can get...Considering the meth-head's ability to sustain fire, a hi-cap 9mm is a viable option. (115gr Corbons being my choice for accuracy, reliablity, and potential lethality)

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-long.shtml

Here is a link to Springfield, the XD in 9mm hs 15+1. I also agree with the 9mm stopping power and that is why I want the .357sig and .40S&W and eventually a 1911. As far as an XD in .45Gap and a larger frame, have you talked to Springfield directly Oldgunner?? I dropped them an email about the availablity of them and I recieved a prompt reply. I think it said somewhere around January??? If you call the non toll free : 309-944-5631 this is where I got my answers when I called about the barrels:D :drunk:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I'd like to try one as it looks like they evolved the slide within the frame system of Sig P210/CZ-75 and made a nice light handgun. I'm just stuck in the past when it comes to handguns, music and bikes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had a XD9 and loved it but I gave it to my wife because she loves it more. I carry a SIG 229 in either 357 or 40 cal depending on the barrel I put in. I usually carry the 357 because I like it better than the 40. I will probably get a 9mm barrel for it one day but I have so many 9mm's it easier to just grab on of the other SIGS or Browning is I feel the need for a 9mm.

The XD is a great gun.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Now I?m sorry I never gave the .357 Sig a thought, you guys seem to like that cartridge. I?ve always stayed away from anything that looks like a wildcat cartridge because of reloading and availability problems. What do you guys think of the .357 Sig as far as power and accuracy? Price? Every time I go to the range I see brass laying around so I?d guess the price must have come down because they didn?t need to reload it. I do like to shoot my Taurus PT-99 like I said. It?s fun and fairly cheap to buy ammo for. I pickup ?Winchester? 115gr FMJ 9mm at Wal-Mart for about $11.00 a hundred. Because of the cost of powder, bullets and primers now days I can?t reload it for that.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Oldgunner said:
Now I?m sorry I never gave the .357 Sig a thought, you guys seem to like that cartridge. I?ve always stayed away from anything that looks like a wildcat cartridge because of reloading and availability problems. What do you guys think of the .357 Sig as far as power and accuracy? Price? Every time I go to the range I see brass laying around so I?d guess the price must have come down because they didn?t need to reload it. I do like to shoot my Taurus PT-99 like I said. It?s fun and fairly cheap to buy ammo for. I pickup ?Winchester? 115gr FMJ 9mm at Wal-Mart for about $11.00 a hundred. Because of the cost of powder, bullets and primers now days I can?t reload it for that.
My idea of reloading is when you drop the empty mag and put in a fresh one. :D

That said, think 9mm +P++++ ;)

My LE buddy carries .357 SIG in his "everyday" CC Glock. Between he and I, we've shot autoloaders in 9mm, .40 SW, .45 ACP, .357 SIG, 9mm Makarov, and some others I'm sure I've missed. I like the .40, he leans toward the .357.

He HAS had to use his pistol in a life-and-death situation many years ago where a wanted felon jumped him (from a traffic stop - didn't want to go back to the big house) and let's just say the worthless SOB that jumped him got his just desserts - he is now in a wheelchair and eating food through a straw. (hooray LE)! That was a service-issue .357 wheel gun.

In his "qualified" opinion anything bigger than 9mm is good. He likes big holes in the target and leans toward the .45, but the sheer bulk of that cartridge drove him to the .357. Again, he's LE and been in a "must have" position, so he wants the ultimate laser gun - 20 round mag, small as a Para-Ordnance P10, etc. etc.

Me, I like the fact that .40 S&W ballistics makes it a "baby .45". Most of what a .45 offers, in a smaller package. Personally, I would choose .45 over anything - more controllable and less of that high-velocity overpressure "pop", meaning faster 2nd-shot target acquisition. AThat's probably the only thing about my .40 USP that I do NOT like - take lots and lots of practice and exposure to get de-sensitized to that pop. I can pick up .45 and empty the mag w/o even blinking. I get real bad target panic with .40 (and .357 SIG) when I'm out of practice. And I am not worried with added bulk of larger bullets, and don't need an everyday CC.

We got to fondle the FN Five-Seven (the model that uses the new cartridge in the P-90 SMG) and were both surprised at how small the cartridge is, and how well the pistol fits in your hand. That would be the bomb, but not sure if it would produce the stopping power vs. a .45. I know, "stopping power" is a bad word, but you know what I mean! It takes the high-velocity/sub-caliber idea to the max.

IIRC, the .357 SIG is used by the Secret Service and some LE agencies. Its a high-velocity cartridge that (I think) was developed by Cor-Bon for the SS (or someone's) needs. Surf the web, you should be able to find some info on it.

Sheesh, sorry for the long post!
- Jerry

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The .357 sig came along after the FBI realized 9mm didn't have the stopping power it really needed. So they added more powder to it and crammed it in a .40cal case ande TADA .357sig! It is a very high velocity round and very accurate. Perhaps not as much wappie as a .40S&W but better peneitration I would think. When it comes down to it...Placement is KEY in most every situation... Unless the target is armored head to toe if you can hit it in a vital area they are going down. :drunk: (in honor of Jose) That said, I love my 9mm, I love .45ACP, and I am sure I will love .357sig. I want it to try it our for CC myself;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
The .45acp is my favorite round but the .357sig is sounding real good about now. I may look into getting a conversion barrel for my new XD.40 after a time. I guess my love of the .45acp came about many years ago, I saw a film showing test penetration of a car windshield, they used a .38spl, .357mag, an AR-15 in .223 and the .45acp. The only round that made it through with the first shot was the .45acp, it seamed that weight had a lot to do with it and the .45 was by far the heaviest bullet tested. If I was a LEO I think I?d go out to a junkyard and see if my weapon passes the test! Never could understand putting a man on the street with a .38spl or 9mm, just not enough gun for the job. Just talk to a man coming home from Iraq, they learn to double tap, I?ve always trained to shoot two to the center chest area then a third better aimed shot to the head or other vital spot. This is in case I don?t have a .45 in hand and need that 2nd and 3rd shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
magnus392 said:
I do wish they would come out with an all metal framed XD in .45ACP!!! that would be AWESOME!!!
They have . . . it's called the CZ-97B :wink:

Disconnector

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have been tinking about getting the XD in .357 Sig. I fired a buddies .357 Sig a few months ago and I loved it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well I got my XD 40 and really like the weapon. I shot the first ten rounds at night to see how bad the muzzle flash is; it?s not as bad as I thought it would be. The recoil is probably no worse than a 9mm. This is my first gun with this type of safety, (Always been kind of a freak about good safeties) so it?ll take some time to get used to the fact that I don?t have to flip a safety off before shooting. It?s also my first pistol without a hammer, makes it look a bit odd. One thing I don?t like much is the fact that to take it apart you have to dry fire it to release the slide. As a kid I was taught to never dry fire a gun and this makes me a bit nervous, like I?m hurting the gun or something. Just an old habit, I know the gun is designed to function like this and should be fine.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Oldgunner said:
One thing I don?t like much is the fact that to take it apart you have to dry fire it to release the slide. As a kid I was taught to never dry fire a gun and this makes me a bit nervous, like I?m hurting the gun or something. Just an old habit, I know the gun is designed to function like this and should be fine.
The only mechanisms that suffer due to dry fires are bolt actions IIRC.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Like I said it was what I was taught as a kid, (I started shooting at age 5) We actually did shoot mostly bolt action rifles (Mausers) so that must be why I was taught this. I know most guns are designed to be dry fired safely but I still think in the back of my mind that it?s better not to do it. When I close the bolt on an empty Mauser, Nagant or others, I hold the trigger so as it closes the bolt doesn?t cock itself. If it cocks on opening, I then hold the cocking piece and lower it as the trigger is pulled. Just habit!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts